Saturday, May 30, 2009

music and me

I woke up really late and now, I am listening to Nirvana, they are the first album that I bought. I was nine and the cashier at the store looked at me and looked at the cassette, he said "Nirvana?..oh ok..". At that time, I think boybands,girlbands and pop culture was all over the music industry,but ofcourse, there was alternative,but, I think kids my age prefer listening to pop rather than alternative. Simply because alternative is full of angst and the lyrics are rather depressing. Maybe, that is why I grew up as a depressed teenager,listening to RHCP,Rage against the machine, not to forget eminem (its not alternative but it is still angsty).

I remember that when I was at the age of 11, when hiphop started building up. I bought eminem. My mom heard the music and she threw away my cd. She said that it was full of vulgar words, it was actually quite true,but, I was angry at her because I bought it with my pocket money. My cousin bought me another one, because , I was sad that it was thrown. That was when I started to be rebellious with my family. When we sent my sister to Cambridge, we stayed at my second cousin's house in London for afew weeks. I bought Mase, a hiphop artist who hasnt been in the music business in years,but, he has quite a selection of music. I played it on my walkman, I was at the double decker bus upstairs, and it felt so good. The breeze, the music, it was at night,so, I felt quite free.

From there, I started to do the same thing with my ipod until today. Time stops and if I were to wait for a bus with the music on, I do not really feel time moving that slow. I think with music, you can judge people, you can see how their perception in life are. It is meant to be loved.

No comments: