Friday, January 29, 2010

A B C ?

Around a week ago, I was reading TIMES Almanac,it was called "The world's nation from A to Z" they made a research on the worlds population,language,types of government etc. Being a proud Malaysian, I quickly turned the page to see how Malaysia is like (even if I am from and live here), I was quite shocked to see that Malaysia rates 74% in literacy.To me, this is a great disappointment and it is quite disturbing as to how our future would be like. I doubt that they include those with disabilities in this,because, next to ALL our neighbors, we rate the lowest. I have to admit I need to brush up on my language and read a lot more,but, I got my education and would not know how to type this entry without it. 22% of people do not know how to, and this saddens me.

According to UNICEF 125,000 kids or more do not go to school. Maybe they want to learn, but, do not have the money or maybe they would have to travel more than 10 kilometers to go to school. I don't think it is necessary to wait for the government to do anything as they are not doing anything at this moment. So, I would try to do something small first and hope to do it properly and not just leave it later.

I am going to check out the mosque's library tomorrow,I would need to see if I can do anything to encourage people around the neighborhood to read. This means that I would have to have a lot of determination. Like my parents, I want the non-muslims to go to the library as well,but, I am not sure if the community is open enough to let the non-muslims enter the mosque and I am not sure if the non-muslims would want to enter the mosque either. Perhaps it would be asking too much,but, I've got to do something.

Warning : I might..might... be asking any of you...you might be some random person on the street for some hand.

No comments: