Saturday, January 23, 2010

My grandfather Abu Bakar bin Kamat

I am very grateful to have the family that I have,the grandparents,parents,sisters,aunties,uncles and cousins alike. At young of age,my cousins,sisters and I were raised and taken care of by a team of people. My grandfather plays a big role in our lives. A humble,warm,gentle and a lot more. I am very lucky to have a grandfather who cares about all of us.



He would give us each newspaper cuttings of exercises, if we had any major exams like UPSR,PMR or SPM, up until now, he would still give me books on how to improve my vocabulary,presentation skills or anything that has relations to advertising. He would do the same to my cousins. He would even call me up to give me words of wisdom when I had my first major break up, although he is a grandfather, he is indeed very understanding.


Yesterday, my sister went on a google search and found an article of a man who quote him, it was about unity. My grandfather,(if i'm not mistaken) introduced 'muhibah'(unity) to the nation even before the 13th May incident. I can't post the article here, I am not sure why.


This is what my sister wrote about my grandfather in her poem. I wrote this entry inspired by both of my sisters. I would stop writing as her poem would say it all.

To my Tok Bah, who taught me to love words.
When I was little
I knew with absolute
certainty

(Children can afford absolutes):


My Tok Bah was
Santa Claus

It was not just
The uncanny resemblance
Or a child’s affinity
for the fantastic.

It was the generosity
Bordering on self-sacrifice

The big booming laugh
That erupts from
a good yarn or
a grandchild’s antics

The goodwill
To all mankind
And animal-kind, too
(I remember feeding stray dogs and cats
I ate the cats’ rice once)

And always
The gentle, gentle
Lessons:

Be kind
To kings and paupers alike

Be generous
Things are just
Things

Be polite
Even if you disagree
(Especially if you disagree)

Be grateful
If you have family
You have
Everything.

My Tok Bah
Sends us handwritten letters
and newspaper clippings
Economics for me
Gross medical stories for the young doctor
Arts and graphics for those of us
infinitely more creative.

None of us are millionaires
But we are worth more
than mere money.

In his eyes, we are
Einsteins
Flemings
Picassos
(even Central Bank Governors)

Who needs a Nobel Prize, now?

If I live to be 80
(My Tok Bah will be soon, inshallah)
I will never forget
the benediction
of a gentle pat on the head
and a “pot sikit”

And always, the messages –
They’ve seen us through
Frigid winters
Heated exchanges
Difficult lectures
Horrid bosses:

“Usaha dan tawakkal!”

“I am confident you can do it!”

“Maju terus maju!”

I don’t say this enough
And I should
(Knowing that it still isn’t enough):

We love you, Tok Bah

And thank you.

1 comment:

Peej Abu Bakar said...

Hi Bils, didn't know this existed till I googled Tok Bah's name. I want more!!!!